Sunday, 28 February 2016

Wax On..........Wax Off


The title sort of gives it away lol, yes I've been playing with the encaustic wax again! I do struggle but it does get easier the more you practice and I can get a few background sheets done if I'm lucky before there is melted wax and smoke all over the place! The smoke is a little worrying, I have the iron set on low so I think I'm taking so long putting wax on, accidently taking it off and then putting it back on that I think it may be overheating, I learn something new every time I try!


I found out that you need to stamp first - using a dye ink (pigment ink melts before your eyes when you put the wax and iron on it - trust me on this one!) and apply the wax after. If you use light colours (I used yellow, red and pink) then the image still shows through and then I discovered that I could use alcohol pens to lightly colour on top of the wax. Really expected it to smear but no it seemed to set OK.  I used Clear Lacquer on the flower heads to lift them a bit. Even used a die on a scrap and that seemed to work as well (note to self - do remember to clean the die afterwards! Some of the wax got trapped but soon came off) Finally some pink and gold sequins were added. I'm entering this card in February's Chocolate Baroque Challenge 20 as I've used their stamp - Spring Bird Tulip on it.


This one really doesn't photo well but I followed the same principle as the other and it does look lovely in real life, this time I used Chocolate Baroque stamp set Poppy Meadow and just coloured the leaves not the flowers as I felt the wax coloured them well enough.


Well that's it for now, I'll be back this Thursday with some DT work and I really must get ready for my workshop next Saturday! Keeps me off the streets eh? Hope you have a good week and thanks for looking. x

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic cards Hellen, love the colour.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful cards. Those backgrounds look amazing. It looks like you've been making them for years.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, some work out OK some don't - Not showing you my bin lol !

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful Hellen, the wax creates a gorgeous effect and to be able to add colour with the markers is great, goodness I feel the need to try something else! I love both of your cards, and am sure that IRL, they are stunning. Thanks so much for entering the Chocolate Baroque Challenge, hope to see you again soon, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't entered the encaustic world though I have seen some lovely pieces of art with this technique. Love the colours you have used Hellen and wouldn't have known you had all that fun to get this lovely result! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seenice and beautiful cards. I use also encoustic wax.
    I see cute cards on your blog and go follow. If you like to look me and the encoustic cards. http://www.kaarten-van-janny.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment I do appreciate your feedback x

Magnolia, Gummiapan and Roxstamps, Hello Notecard by Hellen

Hello ! This is me waving and saying hello with some stamps and dies from Swedish HouseCrafts (SHC) as a new member of a brand new design...