Here's to me Mam x

Well it's been pandemonium in the Pearce household this week! My own fault - left everything to the last minute and then get a DT request for some cards. Left what to the last minute I hear you ask? Well it's my baby girl's birthday this weekend, I'm not allowed to tell you she's going to be 40 and as I cannot believe my youngest daughter is hitting that age I 'm quite happy not to tell!! (Ooops.......)
 
So I've been locked away in Ellie's Cupboard for days now lol.........been having lots of fun with glitter, Frantage, inks and Panpastels going everywhere. Geoffie has been running up to Oysters to get me stuff (why do you always run out of DST when you least expect it to!) and doing most of the housework so far. And with a family descending on us for the weekend festivities the poor man has been cleaning the insides of windows, wiping light switches and hunting for cobwebs. Oh yes ladies, some serious housework has been going on!
 
..and breathe.......For now I can't show you any of the DT work so I'm blogging a little project I did the other week as a trial run of an idea. I've wanted to have a go at scrapbooking for a while and thought I'd start with some lovely photos of me Mam (she was always me Mam - I was brought up  in Sunderland, up North).
 
 
The hardest part for me was the planning, so many memories came back pouring over all the photos - so hard to pick just three but I wanted to span her different ages.
 
This one was one she had taken especially for Dad and she wrote 'Yours Ever, Gwen' on and gave to Dad when he was away fighting in the desert war. He was away for many years and I am lucky to have some letters and cards they sent to each other over the years.
 
The group photo you can see in the main picture is of the four of us on their Golden Wedding, my sister Sue, Me Mam, Dad and me. Mam died just a few years after this and this was probably one of the last times we were all together for a family celebration.
 
The baby photo would have been taken about 1924, so has a real old feel to it. Beautiful lacy dresses on Mum and her sister Marjorie and lots of curls - I can imagine they'd both been sent to bed with 'rags' in their hair the night before to make sure they stayed in!
Having picked the photos I wanted I then dressed some papers I had with Lily of the Valley flowers printed on (we had Lily of the Valley up the side of the front path). Stamped another piece with Sweet Peas (I found a variety called Gwendoline last year) and then added a few charms - a sewing machine and a clock to remind me of her passion for sewing and that time never stands still. I added her own thimble as well - because I was frightened I'd lose it, so now I know it is somewhere safe. Blackberries because Mam made jam, and a key because every Mam holds the key to their families heart doesn't she?
 
The frame needs more work on I know, I've simply Gesso'd it and stamped a bit of crackle on it. I'll go back and have another go after the party and I have more time. So there you have it, a personal project to celebrate me Mam who would have loved to see her daughters, granddaughters and great grandchildren this weekend - cheers Mam x

Comments

  1. Well Hellen, this bought a tear to my eye! What a truly beautiful thing, all those memories really come to life with this lovely creation.
    Something made with so much are and attention and love that will be treasured always.
    I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend enjoying the celebrations.
    Good on Geoff for all his domestic duties and errand running!
    I thought you'd been quiet and kept meaning to message you to check you were ok!
    Speak soon, hugs xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, the hardest part was picking what to use and yes that bit brought a tear to my eye too :-) but felt good to get things on paper so's to speak. Hope to see you soon, good luck with the workshop at the weekend x

      Delete
  2. this is beautiful Hellen, fetched back lovely memories of my dear Mum, I lost her 4 years ago on the 1st November, 10 months after loosing my dad.
    I have photos just like you have used, one day I might do something like your lovely page, not ready as yet.
    your family will always treasure this page. have a lovely weekend with your party.
    pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, it was very hard to do and took me a long time just to decide which photos to use. Hope in time you will make something with all you happy memories too x

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful Hellen and what lovely memories
    jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui x Hope you are well and keeping busy with your crafting x

      Delete
  4. Oh Hellen this is lovely and what a way to have some memories on display. Have fun at the weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, hope all goes well at your fair at the weekend x

      Delete
  5. Oh Hellen this is Beautiful what a lovely keepsake xxx thank you for sharing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernie, hope you enjoy the NEC x PS love your song bits on FB you have me humming them for the rest of the day! x

      Delete
  6. Wow Hellen, this is amazing, so much more than a scrapbook page. A great way to display it, and to have so many lovely memories of your Mum. Well done to hubby too, what would we do without them!

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Sue, been meaning to have a go at it for a while. Will probably try a few others now, see you soon? x

      Delete
  7. Hellen, this is stunning, such a beautiful creation. I also say 'me mam', being born and brought up near to Sunderland (loved how you felt the need to say 'Up North', haha).....strange how we might have only been a couple of miles from each other in those early years ;-) Anyway, you have made a wonderful display box to keep your precious memories, which I'm sure will bring much pleasure whenever you look at it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks Barbara, sometimes it felt there was such a North South divide when we moved down here in the sixties that we always clarified it proudly with 'up North' ! x

      Delete
  8. How lovely Hellen and and treasured memories, there for all to see. This is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Helen this is just beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes, such lovely memories. It is my daughters 40th this weekend swell and we r having a surprise get together for her. Will be thinking of you and yours. Hope to see you soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia - I hope you have a fun weekend too! x

      Delete
  10. Hellen ... truly beautiful work and a lovely post... your mam would have been so proud. very pretty .. you need to do more like this ... a real talent!
    Eileen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Hellen this is TRULY inspirational! It is absolutely beautiful and does those beautiful photos total justice.......I have an idea - thank you.....now I need Time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is beyond words,,,all the significance that the project holds...I loved all the histories behind and the explanations of times gone...this is a fabulous treasure that you have made...so romantic, full of meaning, love the 3 photos of different ages...as for the embellishments...wonderful...that LACE OMG!!! OK I could go on and on...but I have to stop...just WONDERFUL!
    hugs bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely Hellen! Beautiful photos and such a pretty way to present them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa!!! You have a 40 year old daughter?? No way!! Oh my goodness what's your secret? I thought you was about my age?
    This is stunning Hellen, love the sepia tones, real classic and classy xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment I do appreciate your feedback x

Popular Posts