Monday, 1 April 2013

Clarity Challenge 2 - In The Garden


 
 
Haha! OK so I took the challenge literally! No seriously I needed something to let people know when they come to the front that I can't hear them because I'm in the garden ...... which happens to be through the wrought iron gate at the side of the house. So here's a handy little door hanger to let them know, although because it is made out of card it will be hung indoors at the window next to the door.

This really was a challenge I can tell you, quite a bit of free hand work to keep me quiet such as the brick arch and the line all around. Ages since I've done so much so I took it step by step and made all the topper elements individually so if one bit went wrong it wasn't a disaster. Each assembled topper was attached to the back card with foam pads to give some depth.

Stamps used -

Large Topiary Tree - stamped in Adirondack Ink in Lettuce and Espresso. Coloured with Promarkers and the leaves were then clear embossed as I always think Bays have glossy leaves.

Wrought Iron Gate - I used 2 stamps for this, Wrought Iron Circle and a New Design Club stamp called Celtic Square. This was a bit tricky as I stamped with Versamark Ink onto heat proof acetate and embossed with black embossing powder. One of those times when you are thankful that your ink pad is mucky so you can see where you've been!

The Garden - I used the Cherry Blossom Branch and the Lupin stamps on a Panpastel backround to create a vague garden scene.

I made the arch by drawing around my wrought iron gate and then using Promarkers I drew the bricks in freehand and coloured them.  Cut this out and attached the gate to the back of the arch on the left side having left a clear flap on this side when cutting out and bending the acetate first to give it the appearance of being open.

Cut a piece of green card 21 x 21 cm and a piece of cream linen card 20 x 20 cm. Before matting them I distressed the edge of the cream one and draw a wiggly line all around, I came in on 2 corners to make it look like the edges had come untacked and curled up. After matting I added 4 black circles to look like the tacks and attached the arch and tree topper. The letters were made by using some Cuttlebug dies I had - you can obviously use Claritystamps Letter Box Set instead. Punch two holes at the top and thread a piece of string through, tie a pretty ribbon bow and you're done!


Hope you'll have a go at the new challenge, there were some fabulous entries on challenge 1 and it's been good fun seeing what everyone has done. Why not go to the Clarity Challenge Blog and take a look? I know it has given me some great inspiration, thank you x

36 comments:

  1. Wow so lovely could do with one of them signs ,a lovely master piece xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martine, it was great fun to make x

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely idea Hellen and I didn't realise you had drawn all the bricks yourself! Well done! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane - the bricks were a challenge so I just took it slow! x

      Delete
  3. Oh my word Hellen this is gorgeous love that idea so clever
    jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea - Hellen you have incorporated so many artistic elements in this project. I particularly like the gate and the brickwork.
    Perfect inspiration for this months Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne, it made me chuckle when I did it as it really does look like the side of my house -the postman has no excuses now! x

      Delete
  5. I adore this project Hellen, it is so pretty and clever. The little peak into the garden is exactly what you think you would see and you want to step inside to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Naomi, I was so pleased it turned out better than I hoped x

      Delete
  6. This is so clever Hellen I love it all- don't know where to start - the bricks absolutely brilliant and great colouring too. love how the lupins look in the background and the gate well what a triumph that turned out to be. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, took a wee while to do but I enjoyed making it. x

      Delete
  7. This is just beautiful! In fact, there's nothing about it I don't like! It's not too fussy, yet it's full of detail. When I saw it on the Clarity Challenge page, I thought - "I don't remember seeing an archway and gate amongst the Clarity stamps", so I had to pop over to your blog to find out more. And what a great idea, to make the gate from the Circle and Square. We don't have the square, but I'm thinking maybe we could use the Wrought Iron Circle and one of our clever corners to make the edges - will definitely give it a go!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jomada-Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your lovely comment. Brilliant idea to try a clever corner with the circle, should look great. Look forward to seeing your creation, hope you have fun! x

      Delete
  8. Brilliant Project Hellen. I like how it invites the onlooker in, so you want to go through the gate into the garden to take a closer look. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernie x You've reminded me of a favourite book 'The Secret Garden'.

      Delete
  9. So clever! And the colouring is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dawn - well done you on winning the first challenge! Thank you for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  10. Such a clever idea Hellen. I really enjoyed reading about all of the work that went into it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne - hope your headache is gone now x

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous idea Hellen, and such inspirational work...I love every bit of it...Jo. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  12. Your sign really caught my eye Hellen, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - hope you enjoy the In The Garden challenge this month!

      Delete
  13. Hellen I can see that this has been a true labour of love and the time spent on this must have been incredible! I'm in awe of your wrought iron gate :-) You should try them on MDF and design one saying "I'm in the Craft Room", you could go into production with those. I'd be first on the list!

    xx Sazzle xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sazzle - thanks, I have had a few requests for this one. It took a bit of time but I enjoyed making it, was so relieved when it came out OK at the end! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this ... it's truly a great inspiration.. I wondered where you got the 'bricks stamp' from !!! lol Clever work here Hellen
    E xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, wish I'd had a brick stamp lol! All done by my own fair hand, did it faint at first to make sure they matched up at the top! x

      Delete
  16. That's a fabulous card. How clever the way you made the gate. You really put thought into that. The whole thing looks beautiful and I think you are very talented. Thank you also for the instructions.
    Love Lynn.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne - hope you'll have a go :-) x

      Delete
  17. Many congrats on your news today very well done.
    If you get a chance to hop over to my blog...I have nominated you for an award and the details are on my blog of how to get it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is gorgeous. I love it. X x x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Een prachtige kaart mooi zo met de deur in gedaan
    Groetjes Gerrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je Gerrie, zo blij dat je het leuk x

      Delete
  20. I saw this card on the challenge blogg and just had to click on it to see how you made it. Fabulous and the gate is so clever

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the gate... I struggle stamping on acetate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment I do appreciate your feedback x

Card made using Roxsprint Die and Gummiapan Stamp and Dies

Hello! Yes it's me saying hello again on a card made using products from Swedish Housecrafts. Just one stamp - Daisy Face b...