Sunday, 17 February 2013

Distressing at Eileen's Workshop

Well what a fab day we had at Eileen Godwin's yesterday, I always come back exhausted because of all the hints, tips and tricks Eileen shows us! You must visit Eileen's blog - Eileen's Crafty Zone - she really is a talented lady.
 
Yesterday we worked with distress inks, whilst I love the bright and vibrant colours (who can resist Picked Raspberry or Squeezed Lemonade!) I really struggle to get what I see in my head down onto paper. I don't know why and I'm determined to persevere - practice, practice, practice!
 
Now take this card - can you guess how it's done? Well you take your distress inks and rub them randomly on your biggest acrylic block. Then spray with a little water and place the block onto your piece of card - I guarantee everytime you do it you'll get a different effect.  You need two pieces of card like this, one for your background - which is overstamped in toning inks, and one to make your butterflies which are simply punched out and stamped. Now at Eileen's because of time restrictions she'd already punched the butterflies out and we had to put them onto the block to colour them. You can imagine the mess I got into! Inky fingers? I thought I'd put nail varnish on at first then remembered I hadn't ! Great messy fun and  we all come up with something different. Part of the fun of going to workshops is seeing what other people come up with and taking some other ideas back with you. A piece of ribbon to try and get a straight edge part way down, a sentiment stamp and the butterflies applied with foam pads et viola! Super colours and will have to have another go at this at home.
 
We worked on some tags all using different techniques -
 
 
 

This one was more difficult than perhaps it looks.  To get the circles effect you need to have a mask, not the bit in the middle but the outside of it - so basically I'm talking about a piece of paper with a hole in it if you get my drift. Lay this piece of paper on your card and using your blending tool add the ink, keep going, overlaying as you go until the whole piece of card is full up - no white showing. That way you get lots of different colours where they overlap. So tricky as the paper kept slipping - I had some very odd circle shapes going on I can tell you! Once dry simply stamp your images on top then mat your finished tag onto white card. We used some Clarity stamps for this.

So love this water droplets stamp by Designs by Ryn, amazing 3D effect. To make this tag we embossed it through a cuttlebug folder, then blended some distress inks. I used Faded Jeans and Mustard Seed for this. Then stamped the water droplets on and highlighted the top of the drops with a white pen. I was surprised how well the stamp came out considering we were working on an embossed piece of card. Another thing learnt!
   
 
And finally the one we were all waiting for - the star of the show! Credit for this must go a talented lady who has a blog called - Stamping Mathilda - fabulous work. The trick with this is that the tree and grasses are stamped with Stazon ink onto a piece of acetate which when dry was then run through an embossing folder of sun rays. Amazing effect and didn't think of embossing acetate in this way. The background is trickier as you have to judge where you want the tree foliage and background grass at the bottom to come. Then using a foam mushroom you dab the colours you want on and when you're happy with that you blend in the sky around it. I had to keep laying the tree over to make sure I was in the right place but I think it worked OK.
I know I'm lucky to be able to get to these workshops, hope there is something near you that you can go to and get as much fun as I do x

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Hellen what a lovely collection of creations
    well done they are amazing
    jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui - Eileen instills confidence in you to just have a go! x

      Delete
  2. Can't tell you how thrilled I am that you had a good time .. always a fun day for me and just so satisfying to see such fabulous work ... PanPastels next month

    A very BIG thank you for this blog post Hellen.
    E X xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen - can't wait for next month! x

      Delete
  3. Wow Hellen, these are fabulous! Some great projects here and ideas from your interpretation. Love looking at your blog and your projects and pleased you are on the Clarity Challenge Blog DT, not long now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Karen, you're very kind. Sorry you missed Saturday - hope you can come to the next one x

      Delete
  4. Wow Hellen, these are beautiful, I really love all of them and the techniques look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, Eileen has some fab ideas doesn't she!Really makes you think about what else you can do with the techniques. Not long now to Cowden - looking forward to seeing you again x

      Delete
  5. Oh wow Hellen you certainly had a great time with these they are fab x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Linda, my head is always overflowing with ideas after I've been 'Eileened' !x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful tags Hellen and a fantastic post in your blog. Thanks so much for sharing the techniques and your great photography. I agree with you my favourite is the last one, so clever and what an impact.But I do love those rain drops also. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, thanks for yur comments. I know you would love to be able to do one of Eileen's workshops if you could and so like to share some of the stuff we do. See you soon! x

      Delete
  8. Fab card and tags Hellen, must be the inspirational person you sit next to, he, he, he. I’ll be posting mine very soon. We are SO lucky to be able to attend Eileen’s wonderful workshops. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya inspirational crafty buddy! Yes we are very lucky I think. Look forward to seeing your blog soon x

      Delete
  9. I've enjoyed reading your blog after discovering it today, thanks for describing how you've made your tags, I wouldn't have worked out how you had made them, just wish I lived nearby would love to go to those classes,
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment I do appreciate your feedback x

April Workshop

Hi - happy Monday ! Just a quick post to show my card design for my next workshop this Saturday the 29th. It's a good exercise o...