Thursday, 11 October 2012

Caught in Crystal Technique


I missed Sue Wilson doing a demo on this on TV the other week but managed to find her instructions on her blog - Particraft. It gives a lovely effect so I thought I'd give it a go. Be warned this can get messy! I read you could also do it with clear liquid polish but as that's even messier (so I read) I thought I'd try Sue's way.


They don't look like much in the picture but they are actually really pretty. You need to close up on the picture to get a better idea.  I wanted to try one in blue for christmas cards and one in autumn colours for some projects I have on the go.

I used heat proof acetate (you can then stamp and emboss on the finished item) and squiggled Clear Crystal Lacquer (I got mine from Joanna Sheen) on one side and then squiggled alcohol inks over the lacquer and acetate in 3 colours. Then I put mica powder on, silver for the blue and gold for the orange before laying crushed up white tissue paper (which becomes a backing) and tamping that down with kitchen roll, this gives a nice marbling effect as the ink catches in the creases of the paper. Leave it to dry overnight before cutting up and using as backing on a card. I use mirri card behind on the finished items which reflected through the ink, try different colours for different effects.


Here is an autumnal ATC I made using a piece, the Clarity stamped image is heat embossed in gold and I used some copper and gold brads to attach it to gold mirri card behind it. The speckles are the mica showing through. Hope my ATC recipient likes it!

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment I do appreciate your feedback x

April Workshop

Hi - happy Monday ! Just a quick post to show my card design for my next workshop this Saturday the 29th. It's a good exercise o...